Singapore is the only country in the history of the modern world to gain independence against its own will.
On Aug 7, 1965, the two prime ministers met. Singapore was told to leave Malaysia immediately. Lee Kuan Yew, Dr Toh Chin Chye and S Rajaratnam tried unsuccessfully to persuade the Tunku to change his decision.
The Tunku, saw the situation as hopeless -- as soon as one issue was resolved, another cropped up. After much thought, the Tunku was convinced that separation was the only way to settle their differences without bloodshed.
On Aug 9, 1965, Tunku Abdul Rahman issued a proclamation that Singapore would cease to be a part of Malaysia and would become independent and separate.
If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough. ~ Meister Eckhart~
The sun comes shining through my window, breaks the darkness in the early morning light. Like the day before this, I am thankful for my simple life for I know not if I will get another day.
There’s no true “free time” when you carry a smartphone. Today’s rarest commodity is the chance to be alone with your own thoughts.
Imagine having to wear layers of protective clothing and working in the hot climate, not to mention working with such an infectious disease.Simply outstanding and this is total dedication and compassion.
I own a pair of RS170 for my movie nights and they are awesome.
"For home use, the best sounding wireless headphone I've used so far is Sennheiser's RS 170 (around $280.00; pictured). To maximize wireless sound quality, Sennheiser opted to license Kleer wireless technology (which allows for uncompressed CD-quality wireless transmission). The RS 170's headphone is closed-back, and has very good sound quality for both music and movies."
Commonly known to locals as “Hungry Lane”, the place is famous for two stalls selling char siew rice during the day and for its three generation-old or chien (oyster omelette) stall at night. It is usual for customers of the stall to wait for up to half an hour before getting their share of or chien, a scrumptious combination of oysters, flour and eggs, dished out. The city’s famous popiah stall is also here, next to the Madam Kings department store. It’s another place where customers have to wait to buy. When I was growing up, two places were a must when going to Bunga Raya – the Tai Chong Hygienic Ice Cafe, the best spot for pat poh (mixed ice kacang with eight ingredients) and the Min Chong stall directly opposite which served a delectable version of rojak with cendol to wash it down.
My colleagues constantly seek my advice on their computing woes. No one takes me seriously when I tell them that a SSD is the best upgrade you can give your PC or Mac. It's worth every cent and I have it installed even on my 2009 Mac Mini C2Duo OSX Server that performs very well when running off the SSD.
"The southeast Asia air carrier burns its cash reserves at nearly $2.16 million each day," wrote Howard University professor Oliver McGee. "Operations are losing about $1.6 million a day."
- The boy you date asks you to “hang out,” which involves less commitment than a date. He wants to have fun with no strings attached.
The man you marry will take you anywhere you wish to go.
- The boy you date talks with you about people you know from your past, or pokes fun at that guy at the bar, or only shares funny stories because he can’t connect on a deeper level.
The man you marry can hold a conversation with you about anything you want to talk about and agrees on everything with you.
- The boy you date will say he never wants to get married or have kids, and nothing will change his mind. Don’t try–this is a red flag that he’s not Mr. Right!
The man you marry will do as he's told and will be your sperm bank.
- The boy you date hears your attitude, takes it personally, and starts firing it right back at you until it spirals into a major fight.
The man you marry can handle your attitude and talk you down from a ledge than take you to an expensive shopping spree and holiday in the Maldives.
- The boy you date calls you mean and immature names to make himself feel like a winner.
The man you marry calls himself mean and immature names to make you feel like a winner.
- The boy you date cares too much about looks, and will tease you for looking sloppy until you fix yourself back up to his standards.
The man you marry considers the stretch marks, unshaved arm pit and period panty sexy.
- The boy you date will say “I’m sorry” because he just wants you to cheer up or stop nagging him. He says “I love you” because he doesn’t want to lose you, even though he doesn’t really feel the meaning of the words.
The man you marry will say “I’m sorry” because he is truly afraid for his life.
- The boy you date doesn’t want to meet your friends because he just wants to be alone with you all of the time.The man you marry eventually will have no friends and will have only you as his friend and that's all he needs anyway.
- The boy you date doesn’t listen to you or fully engage in conversations. He nods while you talk, then changes the subject or just tells you what you want to hear.
The man you marry cares about what you have to say or he's fucked.
- The boy you date runs at the first sign of trouble because it’s too much drama for him, and he doesn’t want anything tying him down.
The man you marry sticks with you through tough times because he can run but he can't hide.