Nelson Mandela

Nelson Mandela 

 

 

"I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination," he said in his defence statement during the Rivonia Trial. "I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons will live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for, and to see realised. But my Lord, if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die." Mandela was sentenced to life imprisonment, a sentence he began at Robben Island. He was confined to a small cell with the floor as his bed and a bucket as a toilet. He was allowed only one visitor a year. Mandela later said of his time behind bars: "In prison you come face to face with time, there is nothing more terrifying."

 

No comments: